Created in 1980, the CCL was founded by lovers of Laos, researchers, academics, agronomists, doctors, geographers, all good connoisseurs of the country, having often worked there, all eager to help this country which had seduced them and inhabitants with who, they had forged close relationships which often continue to this day.
First international NGO established in Laos, the CCL first start a strong collaboration in the health field, through several hospital support and medical education projects. At the same time, the CCL was initiating rural development actions which today represent the bulk of its activities, through major projects in favor of the most disadvantaged people, with three main objectives:
- Reduce poverty and improve food security and health status of people, especially women and children.
- Support smallholder farmer families towards a harmonious and sustainable development, preserving the socio-economic structures of the villages and the identity of the communities.
- Act in collaboration with village communities, have confidence in local ownership, propose without imposing, assist without leading, promote the ambition of the populations while respecting the cooperation values of the CCL.
- Our action is expressed by a holistic approach combined with the animation of long-term rural development projects. We work on agricultural know-how, water management, food security and nutrition, hygiene and health, and gender promotion.
- Our action tends to promote understanding of the strengths and pitfalls of modernity and to prepare traditional structures for the ecological and societal challenges of globalization, sustainable economy, environmental protection and gender promotion.
- Our teams are Laotian and include members of the communities. They are composed of technicians specialized in the areas covered, agriculture, animal husbandry, fish farming, water, health, gender, food, hygiene, supervised by a Laotian project manager and assisted by an international project advisor.